Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Timon of Athens

Every time I take a KATY trip it seems like I have to reinvent the wheel. I though that a thread to post different templates would make a good reference for everyone.

I am planning out a complete KATY trip for group of cyclists of moderate ability who would like to go end to end. They would prefer to stay in hotels rather that B&Bs if possible and keep daily distance to around 50-60 miles. While I generally prefer West to East, we wanted to get most of the travel done up front. So here is what I have come up with so far.

Day 1:
      Take Amtrak to Kirkwood Station. Shuttle from Katy Bike Rental can take everyone to Black Walnut trailhead. Bike 2 miles to terminus at Machens. Turn around and bike to Marthasville. Rent Little House B&B. Day milage: 53.

Day 2:
      Marthasville to North Jefferson. This is pushing it but seems best to make the lodging requirements. Also allows spur into Jefferson. Day milage: 65.

Day 3: Jefferson City to Boonville: Stay at Holiday Inn Express near I-70. There’s a short spur off the trail that gets you there. Day milage: 52

Day 4: Boonville to Sedalia: Shorter day but we are entering hills away from the river. Leaves time for short side trips like the Civil War cemetery at Pleasant Green. Stay at Best Western State Fair Inn. Day milage: 35

Day 5: Sedalia to Clinton. We get to see “beautiful” High Point. Short day with time to drive home. Day Milage 35

Anybody with suggestions on this?

Randy Rasa
      Keymaster

No suggestions, but thanks for posting this. Looks reasonable.

Myself and a friend are planning a trip on the Katy in a few weeks, riding east-to-west from St Louis area. Still working out the logistics, but we’ll probably be camping most nights to save money.

Thanks especially for mention of the Katy Bike Rental shuttle service; that may prove helpful.

Timon of Athens

Sounds great, Randy. Katy Bike rental is out of Defiance but covers the whole trail (for a price.) They were very friendly and professional when we used them last. Gets pretty cheap when you are splitting the ride several ways.

They balked at driving to Machens and, having driven there myself, I understand why. No problems with Black Walnut however.

Nancy

We biked the Katy Trail in 2013, west to east, from Boonville to St. Charles. We are going again this month, but due to time constraints, we are only doing N. Jefferson to St. Charles. My tip is concerning entertainment. I highly recommend Hermann and Augusta. If you love German food or wineries, don’t miss out! Also, I’m not sure about other times during the year, but (affordable) lodging is not easy to find along the trail during the fall. We have a driver that can take us wherever we need to go, off the trail, thankfully. If anyone has any tips for this issue, I’d love to hear them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.