- Timon of Athens, 2012-09-28 09:41:21
- I am currently experimenting with both and am having trouble choosing between the two. Is there anything that I am missing?
- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-09-29 03:49:59
- I currently use Endomondo, TofA, and that’s all that I’ve used. I’m pretty satisfied with it. But, I’ve also been interested to try both Strava & MapMyRide.
I’ve heard of Strava as a sponsor of the pro cycling races on TV, but don’t personally know anyone who uses it; I DO know a few folks that use MMR and they like it.
Perhaps you can do yourself and the rest of us (speaking for myself anyway) a service by bullet-pointing what you like & don’t like about each, or in other words what features in each are making it tough for you to choose the other?
- Timon of Athens, 2012-09-29 08:55:10
- Sure MBSM,
Both have easy uploading of the data from my Garmin and both allow you to create courses for your ride.
MapMyRide has just added courses. These are the same as segments on Strava. Basically they are little competitions along your ride. They serve as a nice motivator. Ever wonder how good you are at climbing that big hill on the edge of town? Or climbing from that river valley up to Garnett? Both have a leaderboard on MMr and Strava. You will find out and be crushed. However, it’s a little boost to see a personal record after a ride and move up on the board.
I also like setting goals. They are pretty clunky on both sites. I like to set a goal for an average time over a repeated course. This is not possible on either.
I’ll add more here when I get time.
- Figs, 2013-04-02 01:51:46
- I use MMR frequently. I had been using Endomondo, but liked a few of the additional features found in MMR. I have never heard of Strava, but may try it out.
One investment that I have made: a cell phone charger for my bike, so that running gps doesn’t kill my battery on long rides.
- on2wheelsks, 2013-07-09 08:13:01
- I started using endomondo, but when its mapping became erratic, I switched to Strava. All was going well till last Friday, when after a 32 mile ride, Strava shows me biking to north of Minneapolis, Minnesota, from Olathe, KS.
And I wasn’t even tired! Not sure how I accomplished this, but it has to be a record. Over 700 miles in 3 1/2 hours.
- Timon of Athens, 2013-07-17 09:10:33
- I have been trying endomondo also. I haven’t had any problems with erratic mapping yet. So, after each ride I am currently uploading my data to:
Someday I will make some kind of choice. The problem is that each has its advantages.
Note: This is an archived copy of an old forum thread, maintained for posterity. For the latest discussions, check out our new forums!