The Prairie Spirit Trail’s 21st birthday was celebrated in grand style last night in Garnett. The Friends of the Prairie Spirit Trail put on their usual feast, and presenters from Richmond, Ottawa, Iola, and the Kansas Department of Wildlife Parks and Tourism shared news from all along the length of the trail.
Here are a few photos from the event:
- The Prairie Spirit Trail Ultra 50- and 100-mile races are happening on March 25th, starting in Ottawa and running to Iola: prairiespirit100.com.
- Franklin County has a Facebook page (Ottawa Cycling Club) and a Facebook group (Franklin County Ks Cycling), and hosts regular weekly rides.
- Ottawa is hoping to add Bicycle Fix-It stations, a covered pavilion, and restroom/shower facilities at the crossroads of the Prairie Spirit Trail and Flint Hills Nature Trail.
- A Gran Fondo Bike Ride is being planned for October 7th on the Flint Hills Nature Trail and Prairie Spirit Trail.
- A new bike shop, Velo+, is coming to Iola. The grand opening in April 29th, and there will be a bike ride on the Prairie Spirit Trail in conjunction with the grand opening. Riders will begin in Johnson County and ride south to Iola, overnight, and ride back the next day. There will also be a ride starting in Iola and riding north to meet the other cyclists on the trail.
- There are weekly rides in Allen County, including a Dairy Queen Ride on Tuesday evenings, a Wednesday Lehigh Trail Ride, and a Thursday Evening Group Ride.