- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-05-01 20:12:01
- I got in my first full PST ride this past weekend. Ottawa to Iola on Saturday, Iola to Ottawa on Sunday. Nasty weather Sunday, but I was delighted to have done the full ride. This was my first half-century – and then my second half-century!
I’m posting it on my blog in two parts…part 1 is here:
…with part 2 to be published shortly.
I met Jay K. in Iola! Great to meet you there Jay, and looking forward to talking with you again and/or riding with you!
- Timon of Athens, 2012-05-02 07:58:36
Thanks for the great write-up. If you have a chance, please leave some specific comments of the businesses so others can easily reference them. I also enjoyed your meeting of the ubiquitous Mr. K. Get to know this man, he is an amazing resource about the trail and most of Allen Co. in general. I still owe him a bottle of wine. )Trust me, Jay, it’s staring at me right now.)
I think that part of your fatigue after Colony may have had to do with the trail surface. It seems generally softer there and very “grippy” if slightly damp. It sure makes hitting the asphalt at Iola seem like a dream.
I am looking forward to your second installment.
I also appreciate the nice shout-out on your site. Thank you.
- kretzmeier, 2012-05-02 21:51:09
- Congratulations MBSM on your return trip to Ottawa. You are a real trooper. On Sunday morning at church as the rain was coming down in Iola I told my wife that poor biker from Ottawa was most likely taking a vehicle back to Ottawa. I am thrilled to hear you made it back home on the trail. A short trip on the trail can be a walk in the park. Sometimes traveling the entire length of the trail can seem to fall just a little short of a Bear Grylls’ Man vs Wild episode. I am anxious to read your Part 2
- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-05-06 15:26:46
- TofA – Done, left a couple comments. You’re welcome for the shout-out, I’ve loved this site and found it a great help and source of info.
Mr. K – thanks for the kind words! I must admit to wanting to bail out of the ride on Sunday morning, and either just bike home on the highway (granted, still in the rain) or impose upon a friend to pick me up. But, I’m glad I did it.
And you’re not at all kidding about the Bear Grylls’ Man vs Wild episode. In that rain, I felt like Rambo, in the first movie in the series, climbing up the mountainside in the pouring rain. It bordered on the surreal.
Was great to meet you there in Iola, thanks for saying hello, and it’d be cool if we could talk again on a future ride, either yours into Ottawa or mine into Iola! I know you are eager for your first full-trail ride of the season!
I finally posted part 2. I’m on vacation, hence the delay…
- kretzmeier, 2012-05-09 15:26:38
I enjoyed reading your Part ii. If you ever get that muddy and wet again ( and I hope you don’t) and need nourishment in Garnett, ride over to 59 Highway and eat outside in a stall at the Sonic.
A thought comes to me, maybe I will start a tradition here. I will offer to start it when I next ride from Iola to Ottawa. Upon arrival, after resting, and cleaning up I will buy your dinner and give you a report of the ride.
If you would like to take me up on that just call or text my cellphone and leave your contact information. I am uncertain which weekend in the next four I will make the ride, but I will text or call you when I start out of a Saturday morning or am along the way.
- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-05-19 04:56:34
- Mr. K:
Very sorry for the belated reply. I’ve been out of town.
I LOVE your idea for establishing a new tradition for us, and I eagerly accept!
I’ll text you shortly (left your contact info in the office inadvertently, thought it was in my phone) and we’ll get it going! Great idea!
See you guys out there…
- kretzmeier, 2012-05-19 16:16:28
- It’s great to hear your reply. If you read this early enough, today is your first opportunity. I have biked today and am in Ottawa now. If it’s too late for dinner I will still spring for ice cream this evening.
- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-05-19 17:18:26
- Mr. K:
Congratulations!! Very impressive!
I’m unable to do it tonight 🙁 But, I’ll cover your dinner during my next PST ride and we can get the tradition started 🙂
I did ride today, a half century, but over-optimistically prefaced the PST portion of it with a longer local ride. I wasn’t able to finish to Iola, as was planned – though if I had, how funny would that have been for myself to end up there and you in Ottawa!
I’ll ping you. Next time I do the full ride, dinner’s on me. And congratulations again!
- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-06-02 12:48:37
- Mr. K:
I’m on the trail today. In Garnett now. I’ll eat at Iola Pizza Hut probably around 7 pm. If you’re reading this & can make it, dinner’s on me. If not, another time 🙂
Note: This is an archived copy of an old forum thread, maintained for posterity. For the latest discussions, check out our new forums!