- NEbiker, 2012-08-09 11:08:25
A friend and I are planning on riding the trail in September, as a 2 day trip, out and back. I was wondering if there is some safe overnight parking near the Ottawa trail head?
Since the website does not show a motel close to the trail in Ottawa, we were planning on staying overnight in Iola.
Otherwise, to be safe, we were thinking of making it a one day ride and staying in Iola at the hotel, and doing only a portion of the trail and then turn around.
Thanks for any recommendations!
- Timon of Athens, 2012-08-09 11:22:37
- While the website doesn’t show them, there are a lot of lodging options available in Ottawa close to the trail. Most of them are near I-35 which the trail goes under.
As for parking, the trail passes though small-town residential areas of Ottawa. Street parking should not be hard to find.
Good to see you found the trail, I’m originally from Nebraska myself.
- Timon of Athens, 2012-08-09 11:26:06
I know that Ottawa is your bailiwick. Any recommendations?
- jcover, 2012-08-09 18:46:14
- I believe that parking is completely safe at the two trailheads in Ottawa. I would recommend the motels at the south side near I-35. Good luck on your ride.
- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-08-10 04:44:18
- I live in Ottawa and echo the above sentiments.
Don’t let lodging or parking be a concern to you – plenty of both here. There are a good 2-3-4 motels on (mostly) the east side of Highway 59 (just seconds off of the trail) anywhere from the I-35 on/off ramp to the point where the trail turns from gravel to paved here in town.
If you’re overly cautious and want names (of lodging), I can drive by there this afternoon and get them for you.
- NEbiker, 2012-08-10 08:33:59
- Thanks for the quick replies!
No need to drive over there, since it sounds like there are a lot of options in Ottawa, I think we will just wing it when we get there. It sounds like there will be no shortage of places to stay!
Thanks for the offer to do so though!
I am looking forward to this ride, I have not been doing much riding the past year or so due to a knee problem which the dr’s knife fixed but it is taking a while to feel “all better”.
If all goes well, we will be on the trail the first Thursday and Friday of Sept.
Note: This is an archived copy of an old forum thread, maintained for posterity. For the latest discussions, check out our new forums!