- gugu, 2012-02-19 17:27:34
- Rode from Ottawa to Garnett with a hybrid bike with 700*32 tires, it was very soft so soft that by the time I got to Richmond I was beat up just like riding uphill the whole way, I was hard headed and head it to Garnett it was little better but still sinking a lot. I made it back to Richmond completely done 🙂 could not finish to Ottawa. I guess I am a little out shape but it was fun, and well a total 100% work out 37 miles total; was going for 60 maybe next time.
- Timon of Athens, 2012-02-20 12:12:10
- Welcome to the forums gugu!
A soft trail can be a killer. My last century attempt on the trail came to a grinding halt when the skies opened up and the resulting downpour, while brief, made the ten miles into Iola miserable. Until you get into Summer and the trails is well-baked, it seems to be a hazard worth considering before you head out.
- my_bicycle_saved_me, 2012-03-07 12:12:10
- Hi gugu:
I also rode on the trail, the prior day, 2/18. I rode only roughly 12-ish miles on the trail (a total of 29 miles that day, with the rest being on Highway 59), but I agree, the trail was a LOT softer than I bargained for. I’m very out of shape, currently, and it was VERY hard work for me.
I’ve only recently started cycling, so I’ve not yet had the joy of riding the trail when it’s good and baked as TofA mentions – but I sure am looking forward to it! Biking on that soft trail is a killer for me.
Note: This is an archived copy of an old forum thread, maintained for posterity. For the latest discussions, check out our new forums!