- JD_Shawnee, 2011-06-19 10:49:49
- Did the whole trail and back Wed (6/15). 13-hr total time is not great on a perfect mild day with perfect trail conditions. The trail was firm from end to end. Saw three bicyclists outside the city limits. Most activity was within them on this weekday.
The wildflowers were blooming big-time with more on the way. Although I have good references for identifying them, there were so many this time I got them mixed up. Also, there were too many varieties of each kind plus many were intermingled with each other and with other plants as well. One must be a biologist to discern them correctly by knowing all of their flower and leaf characteristics.
Overall speed = 10.2-mph (via ride time; return trip was slowest). I also had an early lunch at the Greenery in Iola. Not bad at all! Tasty. Will do their buffet next time. jd
- ZmanKC, 2011-10-03 19:20:47
- Rode the entire trail on Sunday, Sept.25th.
Weather was fine, a little on the cool side. Trail condition was beat up in spots. Holes and cracks. Fallen leaves made it a bit dicey and I did hit a hole that was covered with leaves. Tire later flatted so I got to change a tire.
Biggest problem was not bringing enough food. I wasn’t able to find any place to refuel, even in Garnett so the last 15 miles were tough.
- Timon of Athens, 2011-10-05 07:48:29
- First off, welcome to the forums ZmanKC.
Sundays can be tough on the trail. I usually head over to the highway in Garnett and hit Sonic or a convenience store to get me through the last 25 miles or so.
Glad you had a good ride.
- JD_Shawnee, 2011-10-05 16:40:12
- A Dairy Queen also exists on the eastside of the highway further west of the town square.
Garnett also has a Casey’s close to the trail at the north end of town on Park Road, where the paved section of the trail ends at the flashing-light stop sign. It’s about 2-blocks west of there. They could be open on Sundays?
Note: This is an archived copy of an old forum thread, maintained for posterity. For the latest discussions, check out our new forums!
Leave a Reply