The Old Jail Museum is housed in a native limestone building constructed in 1869 and operated continuously until 1958 as the Allen County Jail. Visitors to the jail are invited to view the first floor’s solitary confinement cell, walk through the 1891 steel cage cell block, and read the graffiti left by the jail’s many “guests”. The building opened as a museum in 1962, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Admission is free.
Address: 203 North Jefferson, Iola, KS 66749 [ MAP ]
Hours: May through September:1:30pm - 3:30pm. Rest of year by appointment only.
Distance From Trail: 0.5 miles
Web Site: kansastravel.org